Last amended 12 November 2017
|Lansdown Crescent Finials Project
More than 1000 finials remained missing from the railings of Lansdown Crescent and the Places for seventy years, having been sawn off in World War 2 to aid the war effort. In 2016, the Association coordinated a project to replace them.
Robin Kerr (Chairman) | Email
This type of restoration can usually be tackled only as a single project, so, in 2012, the Lansdown Crescent Association took it on.
The World Heritage Site Enhancement Fund provided some initial funding, and Rhys Brookes was appointed architect. Listed Building consent was granted in May 2013, including an approved method of replacement.
Ex-LCA Chairman, Beccy Derry-Evans, took on project management. Funding sources were in place by February 2016, allowing the project to proceed (helped by a leading article in The Times on 26th March 2016). Blacksmiths The Chapel Forge were selected; they had previously undertaken the Associationís successful handrail project. When the project is complete, all missing finials will have been replaced.
The principal benefactor was Dr Marianna Clark, a local resident, with contributions from all the affected owners.
The Association is delighted that the Mayor of Bath, Cllr Paul Crossley, was able to join the celebrations on the completion of the Finials Project.
Agreement was reached at the LCA AGM on 15 February 2016 to proceed with the finials replacement scheme. Six test examples were installed by Chapel Forge in the Crescent and in Lansdown Place East for Council Planner approval. The remainder (over 1000) can now be started.
Sadly a paid Times subscription is required to view the article; their charge to publish a copy here would have been five times the annual budget of this website. To borrow a hard copy, apply to
Mandy Shaw (Webmaster) | Email